Thursday, November 15, 2012

Christmas Countdown Activities

Okay I am going to admit something... my intentions are great, but sometimes my follow through is lacking. This is something that I am working. Some of the time it is because I haven't planned ahead enough and before I know it is time and I am not ready.

I have been planning and planning some more for Christmas.  One of the things I wanted to do was an activity a day.   Once I had my ideas I printed them off.


I then printed off some cute numbers.  You can find them here.


I used toilet paper rolls to put my activity slips in.




I flattened the roll, slid the slip in and tried it off with twine.  I then attached the date number. 


I am pleased with how they turned out.  Simple, which is exactly what I was going for.  Oh, and inexpensive too!

To keep from falling into my old trap of not being prepared I have everything ready.  All of the activities are together and in a plastic bag labeled with the date and activity. 


When I initially started planning I used one of my handy dandy calendar pages.  That way I was able to plan simple things for school nights. 


In case you are curious this is the list:

December   1 - Make countdown chain
December   2 - Go to Hallmark to buy an ornament
December   3 - Make a wreath out of pom poms
December   4 - Make thank you cards while listening to Christmas music
December   5 - Make a nativity craft
December   6 - Write a letter to Santa
December   7 - Go see Santa
December   8 - Eat popcorn and watch Charlie Brown's Christmas
December   9 - Decorate a gingerbread house
December 10 - Reindeer craft & watch Rudolph
December 11 - Write thank you notes
December 12 - Read Christmas books
December 13 - Perform in a Christmas Program (for school)
December 14 - Rent the Grinch Who Stole Christmas
December 15 - Bake cookies at Grammi's w/ cousins
December 16 - Wrap presents
December 17 - Paint ornaments
December 18 - Buy a new Christmas movie
December 19 - Make pizza in the shape of a Christmas tree
December 20 - Do melting snowman & watch Frosty
December 21 - Make popcorn & drive around to look at lights
December 22 - Go shopping w/ Daddy for Mama
December 23 - Go downtown to see the tree
December 24 - Bake cookies for Santa

Besides this we will also be doing an Advent reading each evening.  I made Ann's last year and we really enjoyed it.  We will be using it again this year. 

Now I am not trying to rush the Christmas season!  I am just trying to make it so I can have a stress free holiday and really reflect on the meaning of the season. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

6 comments:

Katie said...

LOVE this, Wendi!!! Darling, thoughtful, and all prepped to boot ~ what a blessing for your family. Great job!

Debra said...

What a cute idea! I've found that I have to start early even though it seems like rushing the season sometimes. Otherwise I run around like a crazy lady trying to do things. I much prefer the calm me, so does my family!

Amber said...

That is really a great idea! I bet it will be exciting to open each package every day and see what's inside. I like that it keeps you intentional with your holiday activities!

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

This is a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing it. God bless.

LynnMarie said...

What a great idea you have and looking forwarded to seeing how it all turns out for you - you already have blogging done for a month!

blessedx4 said...

I love your list of activities. You are so awesome! I am a list kinda gal too but not near as crafty.I love seeing your crafts and ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Tiffany