Monday, August 06, 2012

Hospitality

Hospitality is the relationship between guest and host, or the act or practice of being hospitable. Specifically, this includes the reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers.  This is the definition according to Wikipedia.  There is nothing mentioned about a beautiful home, perfect setting or a table that is set for a Country Living Magazine spread. 

Not that there is anything wrong with all of those things.  I like beautiful things and am really inspired by it.  I think that sometimes we see those magazine spreads or perfect blog post and feel like what we have to offer isn't enough.  I know that I have issues with that. 

Lets face it not all of us, actually most of us, don't live in big, beautiful homes.  We live in modest, cozy places.  Life is sometimes busy and we don't have time to plan the perfect place setting.  I know that there are times that I let the comparison game start to make me feel like I don't measure up.  When that happens I am less likely to be hospitable. 

Recently we had the opportunity to host a couple over.  It was spontaneous.  The week had been busy, the house was clean and I just didn't feel like going to lots of fuss that I would then need to clean up.


We used our finest china.


Served out of our best serving dishes.


Served simple fare of BLT's, deviled eggs, veggies and a variety of pickles.  I used what I had on hand.  The lunch invite was extended at 10 and lunch was served at noon.  



I didn't go to a lot of fuss and you know what... no one seemed to mind.  I understand how easy it is to get caught up in being perfect.  This afternoon served as a great reminder of what true hospitality is. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

12 comments:

  1. Good for you, Wendi! Thanks for sharing this, and encouraging us to open our homes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Wendi! It's called real life.. and even those with gorgeous homes and fancy china have piles of laundry waiting for them. I need to start a blog called A Spoonful of Real LIfe.. and show all of the dog hair that I vacume everyday.. and the funky microwave that I keep forgetting to clean. : )

    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good reminder for those of us who get hung up on everything having to look perfect. Hospitality is mentioned quite a bit in the New Testament. I think it's a good thing for us to put an emphasis on in our homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. I know my house is not as clean as it should be. I let this sometimes interfere with inviting people over and I shouldn't. Thanks for the reminder. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! I like your style, Wendi! :) And I would have been right at home there!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are the best get togethers! Good for you! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I think guests tend to feel more comfortable when you don't try to have everything perfect and are just yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use to struggle with hospitality on a whim. I would have never ever entertained the thought of having anyone over unless I had spent a week or more killing myself getting ready. I have gotten better and now I don't have as much of a problem with it. I think hospitality is one thing that many folks have just forgotten about even though we are commanded to extend it. Thanks for the reminder Wendy and I'm sure your guests had a great time.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendi.I would have more people over if I could just relax and let go a little! I always worry if my house is clean enough, my food tasty enough, so on and so forth. I would have enjoyed sharing a BLT with you, served on your finest china! and I am sure my friends would enjoy sharing one with me...thanks for the reminder of what hospitality really means.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best moments are those unplanned sometimes. Nothing wrong with how you entertain, the important part is sharing times with others. That's what really matters :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post, Wendi!! Yes, hospitality comes from the heart ~ whatever that looks like is beautiful to those who receive it!

    Encouraging as always ~ thank you!

    Blessings on your weekend~
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Wendi! Cozy, modest homes are so inviting to me! And, being invited to such a special place as someone's home is a gift in itself! Yes, it is real life! You probably enjoyed your company more because you simplified it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!