Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Homemade Instant Oatmeal

I have been researching and playing with making instant oatmeal.  I finally have a keeper recipe.


 For this you will need:

1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 t cinnamon
2 t dry milk
1/8 t salt
4 t brown

I made a big batch.  I didn't keep track and can't tell you have many times I doubled, tripled and quadrupled this recipe.


To make it you take 1/2 cup of mix and then add hot water.  Up to 1/2 cup of water depending on the consistency you like.  I use about a 1/3 cup of water.  Add any desired fruit.  For this bowl I used a teaspoon of dried blueberries.


I have seen this stored in snack size bags.  I decided that I wasn't willing to add the extra cost for that convenience.  I decided to store it in a glass jar with a 1/2 cup scoop.  I include the scoop so that I don't have to take the time to dig one out each morning.


In case you are wondering about price comparison I figured it out for you. :)  Of course this price will vary depending on how much your ingredients cost.  This batch cost $0.11 for each 1/2 cup serving. 


A generic that is about 1/3 cup is $0.16 a serving.  Not a huge savings, but overtime it will add up.  Especially considering that some weeks my crew would go through two boxes!  I don't know about you but I see my grocery bill rising and I am not bringing home more groceries.  Sometimes even less then I use to.  I am going to see if I can lower the price even more by checking out some prices at Aldi.

I would love to hear what convenience foods you are making from scratch to stretch your grocery budget. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

10 comments:

  1. 1/8 tsp of what? something is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opps... salt... thank for catching that Ginger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great idea. We make a hot cereal that we will eat in the winter time.

    I canned some soup starter today that is very nice to have on hand. I put in carrots, onions, celery, garlic, and potatoes. I will take two quarts of that and one quart of beef and have a nice soup in no time.

    Have a wonderful evening with your family. I hope that you are now in the swing of school time.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a cool recipe. I'm pinning it to Pinterest to make it. I like the way you stored it better anyway! It looks nice!

    And yes, we've been noticing the steady rise. I'll be interested in hearing from other folks on this too!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make a very similar instant oatmeal ahead of time. Good idea to leave the scoop in the container. Saving steps.
    I love Aldi, especially their produce prices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you the food prices up here are higher ever week. I like the oatmeal idea and we do eat a lot of it in the winter (even the dogs eat oatmeal in the winter). Love the jar you store it in. I have a big rubbermade container, it works but yours is pretty to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prices here are rising all the time too, it seems. Your jar is much prettier than a mountain of little baggies and less wasteful!

    I make our own yogurt, salad dressings and spice blends quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! I enjoy making convenience foods from scratch also. One of my favorite things to do is make up a bunch of waffles and freeze them for quick breakfasts. I also like to do the same thing with sausage and bacon biscuits. You have such great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you on pinterest or facebook?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will have to give it a try. A coupe of things I have been doing from scratch is yogurt and granola. I have the recipes for both posted on my blog under recipes if you are interested. Vicki has a good post on it too http://oneandahalfacrehomestead.wordpress.com/
    Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!