Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Corn... Finally!

I join you this afternoon in much better spirits.  A couple hours of rest was the perfect solution!

With the drought corn has been very hard to come by.  My parents ran across some listed on Craigslist and we jumped on it.  We ended up getting 30 dozen for $40.00!  That was a fantastic price since most places were selling it for $5.00/dozen and had a limited supply.


I shared 6 dozen with my mother-in-law and then got busy on the rest.  You could tell that the season had been rough as some ears weren't fully developed and there were some worms.  We knew this going in as the farmer told us that he didn't spray the corn a second time.  He didn't want to put any additional money into a crop that might fail.  I certainly understand that!


Anyway, we did end up with plenty of corn.  I am truly grateful for it!


  Mom and I worked together and ended up with 33 quart bags containing 3 cups each and then two dozen froze on the cob.


Now I must run and give my kitchen some attention as the floor is super sticky. :)  Well worth it when I serve this yummy summer treat on a cold winter day!

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

8 comments:

  1. It looks so good. Glad that you were able to find some. I think we ended up selling over 800 dozen ears of corn this summer.

    It is so worth it come winter time. I process my corn on the back patio so I can just hose the floor and table down when I am done.

    Have a wonderful afternoon.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic deal on corn! $5/dozen is the price around here, too, and there wasn't much to be had. I've never tried freezing it for winter--I bet it sure tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same price here as well. Didn't think to look at Craigslist! Good idea. Well done and glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Wendi! It will be worth it, like you said! It looked so good in the pics!

    Have a great evening!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! It will taste so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great deal Wendi and you have lots in the freezer to keep you going for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you were able to find corn. It looks good and you got it at a good price. I know you will be enjoying it this winter. I am glad you are feeling rested and refreshed. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I envy you, fresh corn. Thank you for stopping by my blog, Have a wonderful week, love your blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!