Sunday, June 03, 2012

Salad in a Jar

Our time away from the daily grind was fantastic! With a death in the family and then a sick little girl the to do list went out the window, but it was still relaxing. After our romp through the family farm we encountered some ticks. Megan ended up with one on her back. It was removed and then she started to complain of a headache Friday evening and was running a fever by Saturday morning. I spoke to the doctor and was told we would monitor her the next 24 hours. She didn't seem concerned about the tick bite. On Sunday morning she was running a 102.9 temperature with Tylenol. I am not a freak out kind of mom, but with the recent tick bite I was being extremely careful. We took Megan to the after hours clinic and this doctor was also concerned because of the tick bite. We started a round of antibiotics (which is the first time Megan has been on one) and hope and pray that is the end of it. Thankfully she is already feeling better.

Have you seen the salad in a jar on Pinterest and other blogs? I have seen several of them and thought what a great idea! While Megan spent time sleeping I was busy in the kitchen whipping some of them up.


I started out with a bagged lettuce mix that was on Managers Special at Kroger.  I then added chopped carrots, a hard boiled egg, some cut up roasted chicken breast and topped it off with a little cheese.  Really the combinations are endless.



I love a good salad in the summer.  I don't always make them because sometimes lunch time is hectic with little ones ready for a rest.  I  am looking forward to enjoying a good salad without all of the last minute prep.

May your day be filled with joy and contentment.

13 comments:

  1. Thank goodness she is feeling better...tick bites are scary.
    That salad is a good idea.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids have had some tick bites also. I hope that she continues to do better.

    What a great idea on the salad. I hope that you have a wonderful evening with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that she feels better soon!

    Those salads would be good to have ready for lunches! Lunch is crazy here too so I try to have our lunch made and ready to grab out of the fridge. That way I just have to fix the kidlet's food and it doesn't take so long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made these all the time :)

    I always have at least 4 in the fridge, all different combinations and dressings. The trick is to add the dressing first, then all the other ingredients and place the lettuce right at the top so it won't wilt :)

    Love it :)

    Sorry about your little one and the tick bite...ugh those ticks are so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Megan is feeling better. :( I say the salad in jar idea over the weekend. I need to try it. It says it keeps longer. I hope you have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an amazing idea!! I have never heard of it before but sure do like it. I plan on giving it a try. Thanks. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to say I hope your little girl is feeling better. Ticks are so bad here this year. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen that salad idea but haven't tried it. We've been enjoying lettuce and spinach from our garden!

    Hope Megan's feeling better. That's amazing to me that it's her first round of antibiotics! (Not that we love them around here, of course--I just think it's wonderful she's about 6 and hasn't needed them yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So thankful she is doing better. Ticks are really nasty. Glad you are being careful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that your daughter is feeling better. They say that ticks will be bad this year. Yuck!
    Love the Salad idea.. I hadn't seen it yet.
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ticks are such a huge concern! Hope she continues to feel better. Perhaps have her tested for Lymes as a precaution? Will keep her in my prayers.
    That salad idea is neat, may have to try that :-)
    Have a good night.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about Megan's tickbite and illness and about the death in the family!! ((Hugs)) Will be praying for all of you!

    I just saw a salad in a mason jar picture in an older issue of Taste of Home. Yours looks absolutely lovely and tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings to your family~
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! What a neat idea! :)

    Jaxson is a tick-magnet...it drives me crazy...ticks give me the eebie-jeebies!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!