Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lucketts Virginia

One of the places I wanted to go while in Virginia was Lucketts. Lucketts is where my grandmother was raised. I woke up the first day I was in Virginia and it hit me that Miss Mustard Seed had a booth in a shop there. I knew that I had make a stop there.

On Saturday we made a stop at The Old Lucketts Store



Oh my! What a great place.   I could have spent hours and hours there, but it was hot.  Super hot.  I made a beeline for Miss Mustard Seeds area.








Because space was limited, especially with our treasures from the farm, I had to restrain myself.  I purchased these keys to go with the lock we salvaged at the farm.


I also purchased this watering can vase from another vendor.


If you are in the area you won't be disappointed if you stop by.  If so you need take a peek at the restored school building across the street.  This is the building where my grandmother went to school.



They are in the process of finishing the restoration of this building.  I am so pleased with all the small details that have been maintained.  After checking out the school we ended driving out into the country.


We went on a search for Granny's place.  The home was built by my maternal great grandparents. 


I have a picture of this home from the 1950's.  It really hadn't changed much.  I was amazed to see that the same fence is there.  I don't know of many fences built today that will still be standing in 50 years.  They sure don't make things the way they use to.

This home is still in the family.  My aunt by marriage, Ada, still lives here.  She moved in as a young bride with my great grandparents and raised four children here.  When we would go visit the men were usually in the fields and Ada and Granny together in the home.  It always makes me think of Olivia and Grandma on the Waltons.  My hope is that this land and home will stay in the family for generations to come. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Wendi, What a fun visit! That place looks like such a fun place to poke around! So glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so lucky I'm nowhere near that area LOL I would be broke, those are my kind of stores :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great store! Oh My! So glad you got to go and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post Wendy and so wonderful the home is still in the family. So many great memories to share!

    blessings
    ,Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old house!! I could tell immediately that it had "character". I think that's what I like about old houses. They just have so much to tell. Thanks for sharing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a fun-looking place to visit!!!! We're going to VA the end of the month; I'll have to see how far Lucketts is from where we'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful place, love the house, is that the one you used to have at the top of your blog? I am so in love with that watering can!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our family home was torn down. It still makes me sad. :( I would be dangerous in that store. It looks like you had a nice visit.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neat, neat places!!! I, too, love those types of shops...by wallet; it does not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Wendi..Love seeing Mustard Seed and your grandparents place it does look a lot like The Walton. I need to visit Luckett one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!