Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Little Things

For a little over a month my family has been hit hard by loss.  First we lost my Aunt Mallie (my dad's sister),  and then there was the sudden loss of Jack (my mom's brother) and last night Pop (mom's dad) left us.  That is a tremendous amount of loss is such a short amount of time.  The good thing is that I know they are all in a better place.  There will be no  more suffering and no more pain for any of them.

The loss of Pop has hit me the hardest.  As most of you know I live in Indiana and Pop lived in Virginia.  It has been a long time since I have seen him.  As I said to Chuck last night that doesn't mean that the love I felt for him was any less.  I thought of him often.

As I was waking up this morning my heart and mind were overwhelmed with thoughts of Pop and Mom (what everyone called my grandmother).  I have great memories of the two of them and my time spent in Virginia.  As a child we went out every summer to visit.  Precious memories really.

My heart is overwhelmed with thoughts of the little things.  The way Pop would hold me on his lap when I was young and tell me a story of the time I was a baby.  While my dad was overseas mom and I stayed there.  He would tell me that every morning when he walked by my room I would be waiting in my crib and would stretch my arms up for him to come and get me when he walked by. 

There is a distinctive smell of dirt, oil and animal.  You know a barn smell that makes me think of Pop and the old red barn.  The barn where I helped my cousin Rick gather soda bottles for return money and it made Jack so mad.  He said he was saving those bottles.  We were kids and we were just happy that Rick bought fireworks to share.

Pop always had a sweet tooth.  When we were going to the store he would sometimes gives us money to bring him some candy back.  I am not sure who was happiest about the candy... Pop or his grand kids.  You know that was back in the 70's when candy wasn't given to children the way it is now.

The smell of petunias, windows open at night with the sounds of crickets, dinners around the table and evenings spent sitting on the porch are the memories I hold dear of Mom and Pop.  Nothing fancy, just the little things that mean the most. 

With the loss of Pop and Mom being gone for many, many years before him I feel like a chapter in my life is coming to an end.    A very, very good chapter that I will hold near and dear!

My advise is to slow down and cherish the little things.  After all they are the things that truly matter.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry for you recent losses. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for you and your family. What a blessing to know that they are with the Lord and no longer suffering.

    What wonderful memories you have of them.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Wendi! I'm sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers. Yes, the memories that we make are the most precious possessions of all. It's amazing how the slightest of things can transport you back to another place and time. Sometimes we forget that we are in the process of making memories with the ones we love. Thanks for the reminder.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  4. My deepest, sincerest sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry! Praying for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your losses Wendi. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for all you have been through. Loss is never easy but 3 so close together is just terrible. My prayers are will you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such precious memories!!! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I am sorry to hear you all have been facing all these losses. You will be in my prayers. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sad to hear that you are mourning the loss of several who are dear to you, but I am glad you can take comfort in where they are now and in your sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendi - I'm sorry about all of those losses so close together. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers. I enjoyed reading all of your nostalgic thoughts in this post! Reminded me of some of my childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!