Sunday, March 18, 2012

Quiet

I am sitting outside on the back porch soaking up this beautiful Sunday afternoon. I am nursing a headache and enjoying the quiet. Megan has gone to my mother-in-law's for the afternoon and Chuck is out in the yard doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that.


The sun is shining and the birds are serenading me with their beautiful song. Every now and then it is nice to have some time where you can actually hear yourself think. Although I will admit that I am missing watching Megan frolic around the yard and the chatter she would be making.

I told Chuck this morning that I feel like I am experiencing springtime in the south because of the warmth we are having. The great thing about is that we are able to get out and do things.

Saturday morning Mike (Chuck's step-dad) came over to help Chuck figure a part of the fence that went around a tree.


Megan loved being near while they were working. Since Daddy and Grandpa were in charge she decided to make mud pies!


Yes, it was messy, but what fun she had! I let her know that mud pies wouldn't be a normal play activity, but sometimes it is nice to let a kid be a kid!

I have always wanted to plant cold weather crops. I never seems to work out because it is usually to wet. The gift of the dry, warm weather has allowed me to work in the garden.


My dad loves tiling so he takes care of that task. He turned the soil Friday evening and we let it set to dry out a little more. He was back on Saturday to til again. Once that was done we did some planting.


First beets and carrots were planted. I added a couple rows of peas. Thne Megan planted broccoli. The remainder of the garden will rest because I am sure a more normal spring will return. Much later the green beans, tomatoes and such will be added.


Last year is the first time I have had a raised bed. I love them!


I planted some leaf lettuce, bib lettuce and cabbage. I am looking forward to trying grilled and roasted cabbage this year. I hear they are wonderful.

I should run. I need to take some more pain reliever and then head over to pick up Megan.

I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

6 comments:

  1. Must be the weather causing these headaches. Everyone seems to have one. I've had a migraine for 2 days now (that kept me from church this a.m.). Guess things are blooming early causing it......

    What a memory....making mudpies! I sure made my share! That's good for the imagination!

    Hope you're feeling better soon! Thanks for sharing your relaxing afternoon with us!

    Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely weather you all are having. We had snow this morning.

    I hope that your headache goes away. Have a wonderful evening with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful afternoon, except for the headache. It's warm here too. We enjoyed spending Saturday outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendi - I love seeing other people's gardens! And, oh, how nice that you were able to have some quiet moments to refresh your mommy soul. I pray for many blessings for you today! I pray that God would just pour His love and grace out upon you and your family and that you would see all His gifts and goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are feeling better. Oh, mud pies! I have fond memories of making them.:) It is nice to sneak in a little relaxation but it doesn't seem like that has happened around here in a long time. :) Our temps are supposed to be near 90 today and it's still winter! Hope you have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making mud pies is the greatest fun!!! Great job on the gardening.. it looks very nice. You've got lots of room for all kinds of veggies.
    Enjoy these gorgeous days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!