Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Clothesline

Over the weekend Chuck finished a project that I have been dreaming of for a long time.

A real clothesline... swoon! I had one of those round metal ones and I never liked it. It was hard to hang large items.

Chuck took great care while putting this together.


He used a half lap to make everything nice and secure.

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES
(Author Unknown)

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes--walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders, always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! Never hang clothes on the Weekend, or Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your "unmentionables" in the middle.

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather....clothes would "freeze-dry."

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED? Well, that's a whole other subject!




A CLOTHESLINE POEM
(Author Unknown)

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by,
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew,
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the "fancy sheets"
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the "company table cloths"
With intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth
From folks who lived inside -
As brand new infant clothes were hung,
So carefully with pride!

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed,
You'd know how much they'd grown!

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "Gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged, with not an inch to spare!

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy and gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows,
And looked the other way.

But clotheslines now are of the past,
For dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign.
When neighbors knew each other best
by what hung on the line.



I have been putting it to good use. Nothing that comes in a bottle can compare to the smell of good o'sunshine!

I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

11 comments:

  1. I've wanted a clothes line for a long time. Its on my honey do list :-) Glad you are putting it to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so remember the clothes line rules! I'm so glad for you but please, "clothes line" is SOOOO last century. It's now called a "Solar Clothes Dryer" He....he...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poem and the rules. Your husband did a nice job.

    I have two pulley clotheslines and they get used all the time. I have a dryer, but it is in the barn and hasn't been used in 8 years or so.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mine too. I finally got a new line on mine last year. I agree, nothing can compare to the sunshine smell. Enjoy!

    Blessings,

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swoon is right! My mom always used a clothesline, and I think she followed all of those "rules."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know envy is one of the 7 deadly sins, but I am SO envious!! I miss my clothesline so much! I had a great one at my previous home. I do have a small fold out hanger, but it only holds items I choose not to put in the dryer. Enjoy!! (Nothing compares to sleeping on sheets dried in the sun!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the poems and "rules". Great post!
    I have used my clotheslines for a long time. I love hanging laundry. It smells wonderful, and if there is a breeze, clothes come out pretty wrinkle free. Sheets are the best thing to hang outside. They are not as wrinkled, and smell so good.
    Your husband did a great job.
    nancyr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo! Love the rules too!

    Our round clothesline broke when we moved and I so miss it. Hoping to rig a clothesline of some sort up soon! Since my dryer hasn't been working for a while, it would be a much easier way to dry towels and sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I know you are SO happy!! I love my clothesline. Your hubby did a great job. It looks like it will last a long time. I enjoyed the poem and the rules. My mom actually followed some of those rules. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks fantastic! He did a great job!! Isn't it wonderful to have a handy husband? I treasure mine for sure! Enjoy your new clothesline!

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is lovely! Sadly, I have not had a clothesline in about 12 years. In my first house I had one of those types you mentioned that you couldn't hang large things on. Chuck did a professional job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!