Monday, February 06, 2012

Making Butter

In the afternoon we have been reading a chapter aloud from Little House in the Big Woods.


When we read the part when Ma list her weekly chore of "Churn on Thursday" Megan asked what that was. We talked about it and I knew that we needed to try making butter.

Pouring a cup of heavy whipping cream into a jar.


Then it was time to shake,


shake,


and shake some more.


Finally butter!


The buttermilk and butter were separated.


One happy girl with her jar of butter.


It is currently chilling in the refrigerator. Waiting for the homemade buttermilk biscuits that will be served with tonight's dinner.

Chuck joked and said that now we won't have to buy butter. I don't know about that. I would need to do a cost and time analysis to consider that. Seriously, it you haven't tried making butter you should at least do it once.

I am trying a new recipe for biscuits and will let you know it I finally master them. :)

I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

11 comments:

  1. I'm surprised she shook it that long, many would have given up. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter had a Little House birthday party for her 7th. The party guests all took turns shaking the cream to make butter while I read a book. The fresh butter and biscuits were gobbled up more quickly than cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does take a long time to make it that way. If I have extra cream now, I use my mixer to make it into butter.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did this on Abraham Lincoln's birthday a few years ago at the library. Fun!! How much more fun on homemade biscuits! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great lesson for Megan. She is going to store this one in her memory bank!
    nancyr

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun! Love this book and making butter! :-)

    I'm having a giveaway from Disney stop by and check it out! :-0

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummmm! Did you add salt?? Can't wait o hear if you love the biscuit recipe. I've yet to find the perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have made butter before. A fun project but takes a while. :) We love Little House around here. We are currently reading The Long Winter. Hope you have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the memories! We've done this once with Colt and another family as we read The Little House on the Prairie books and then would get together once a month to have a Little House Day from all the things we read in the book. Then with Joy. It DOES take alot of shaking but it seems like that butter is SO much better! Maybe it's because we know the work that went into it! :)

    Megan looks so cute making her butter and she looks pretty proud! I see you are enjoying those simple moments! :)

    Thanks for sharing! I loved reading this because reading the Little House Books aloud to my children and doing activities from it has meant alot to us and we've made lots of memories! Now I'm reading the younger picture book Little House ones to Luke. I love to look at the wonderful pics in them myself!

    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butter never tasted so good as when you work so hard to get it. We have done this before and had so much fun doing it. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to this with my sister next week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!