Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Making the Most of Your Library

Those of you who have been reading for a while most likely know that I am an avid reader. It is a love that I have enjoyed since I was a child. Those of you who are readers also know that it can get expensive. I am fortunate that my mother-in-law has the same taste in books and we pass books back and forth. Even with the book sharing it can still be expensive.

I have tried using the library, but I wasn't thrilled with it. Most of my reading has a Christian base. The Christian area at my local library isn't large. One of my goals is to try to utilize the library more. So far it is working well!

I use my latest book magazine to browse for books I am interested in.



I circle those that I am interest in and mark out those I have already read.


I then search to see if the book is available at the library.


I then mark library if I find it. I have found that my library system does purchase Christian books just not a large quanity of each book. That explains some of the frustration when I would go to the libary and couldn't find what I was looking for. By searching I am able to see if the book is available anywhere in our library system. If so when ready I can put a hold on the book and it will be sent to my local branch.

I receive an e-mail when the book is ready and then all I have to do is swing by and pick it up. I received an e-mail last week that two books on hold were ready. By the time I got to the library on Saturday all four of the books were on the hold shelf. Yes!


As long as the books are picked up before the hold date expires and renewed or returned on time this is a thrifty way to support a reading habit. I would love to hear your tried and true tips for making the most of your library.

I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

10 comments:

  1. I need to utilize our inter-library loan system more as well. We have a small-town library so the Christian books that are available are very limited. We use our library mostly for the kids and I get cookbooks and crafting books a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what I do as well. I love to read and it is expensive. I love the fact that I can search the library system from home and place holds on the books and DVDs.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do something similar. I love being able to reserve and browse books from my own home and then just pick them up.

    Last week for the first time I realized I could have Nathan look through the Scholastic paper he'd brought home and show me what titles interested him. Then we put them on hold at the library. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love CBD too! My love for reading was developed in childhood. I hope to pass that love on to my kids. Seems like you have a great system. Our libray in our town is tiny. I can't get much from ours. Hope you have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do pretty much the same thing. My real estate taxes are so high, that I feel that the library usage helps to justify that bill. Until 2012, our library system had a MaiLit program. I searched for books in their online catalog,placed it on hold, and when it was ready they would mail it to me! Now that grant has expired so I just swing by the library, pick up my holds, and drop off all that we have read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this all the time for my books and I love it! I can't imagine a world with no libraries!
    Enjoy and happy reading.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! This is exactly what I do. Amazing. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should check into that as well at our library. However, our library is really very small.

    I agree that it can be expensive....reading habits that is. I just purchased Mary Beth Chapman's book the other day though because I couldn't stand it. I kept passing it at the Christian Bookstore and reading snippets. :)

    What's that quote, "Wear the old coat, buy the new book"? Guess we can identify, huh?

    Have a great rest of the week, Wendi!

    Hugs and Blessings,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't take advantage of our library for myself as I should, but I do for Jonathan. We get lots of books and videos, and our library has great programs for children. Coming up Sunday is a Shark party. Judging from past experiences, it will be fun!
    I think it is time to take advantage of all that is offered for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendi - You inspired me. The day I read this post, I ended up going to the library and ordering four books through our interlibrary loan system. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!