Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Grape Jelly

When I mentioned that I was going to make some jelly I was asked to show how I do it. First you need a cute little helper! :)




Seriously you need to have 5 cups of grape juice. To do this you need approximately 3-4 lbs of Concord grapes. Removes stems, wash grapes and then crush. Put in sauce pan with 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes.

I then run the grapes through a sieve to remove seeds and skins. You can take the "pulp" stuff in the top of the sieve and squeeze through cheesecloth to remove more juice. If you end up short on juice you can add up to 1/2 cup of water to equal the 5 cups needed.

Now you proceed to the next step or you can store your juice in the refrigerator for up to a week. This works well for me since I have young kids in my care and don't always have a large block of time.

Pour 5 cups of juice into a large sauce pan.


Stir in one box of pectin. (I prefer Sure Jell.)


Bring to a rolling boil stirring constantly. Then add 7 cups of pre-measured sugar.


Return to a rolling boil stirring constantly. Boil for one minute and then remove from heat. Skim off any foam and then ladle into sterilized jars. Process in a water bath canner for 5 minutes.


Remove jars and place on a towel. You should hear a lovely "pop" sound as the jars seal. Once cool check to ensure all of your jars have sealed. The next day I remove the rings, wash jars in soapy water, date the lid and store to enjoy later!

All of these instructions are included in your box of Sure Jell. I find jelly to be super easy. You can go here and see how I made apple jelly. Hope this helps!

I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you sounds like something I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not an experienced canner--Why do you remove the rings?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie,

    The rings are removed and re-used. Your jars will last much longer then the rings. Over time the rings will start to rust and need to be thrown out.

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendi, I just wanted to let you know I have blog award for you over on my blog, Here On Hartland. Hope you will stop by and collect it! I so enjoy reading your blog every day!!
    Thanks,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to make mine today! I found concord grapes last week at an apple orchard and was nearly giddy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!