Thursday, December 02, 2010

The Star

Growing up my mom was a SAHM and we didn't have an over abundance of money. Mom has always been resourceful and did a great job stretching the family money. She did such a great job that as children my sister and I never felt that we lived in a home were the pennies were sometimes really stretched.

Each year there was a star on the top of our Christmas tree. Not just any star but a star that my mom made herself. A cardboard star covered in tin foil. I am not sure what happened to that star. Over the years the star was replaced by a store bought angel. Now there is nothing wrong with an angel on top of the tree; I am just a fan of the star.

When I had my own home I purchased a plastic star for my tree. Nothing fancy and it served its purpose. Several years ago that star broke and I have looked and looked for the perfect star. Most of them were to flashy, to commercial. So for several years the top of our tree did not have a topper. While on vacation we stopped at the Ben Franklin Five and Dime store and that is were I found the star.


As soon as I saw it I knew it would be perfect! I added the fabric to match the garland on my tree and am super happy with how it turned out. Although it is not a tin foil star it still reminds me of my childhood tree and how the Wise Men were guided by a star.

Do you use a star, angel or something else for the top of your tree?
I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!





11 comments:

  1. Hi Wendi,

    I love that story! Wish you knew where the foil star was! But, I also think you found a great star for the top of your tree!!

    We use an angel - I've never really liked it, but it was a gift and now it is tradition and our girls remember it - so I guess it is staying! Plus, we love thinking about the angel bringing the good news to everyone and like to think of them proclaiming from our tree as well! :)

    Have a great day!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an angle. We have had it for over 30 years and it glows on the ceiling as well. I really like your star andI love the story behind it, that is what makes it special! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always had a star growing up in my house too. What a neat story! Love the one you have found for your daughter to have in the household she grows up in ~ neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a star very similar to yours! Now that I have seen you picture, I know just what to add to mine--a homespun ribbon. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely Wendi! So true our Moms have a way of making everything so special! My Mom was a stay at home Mom too and I'm honored to follow in her footsteps. :-)

    If you get a chance I'm having a holiday giveaway http://blessingsofastayathomemom.blogspot.com/2010/12/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

    Have a great day!

    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use an angel at the top of our tree, a gift from a friend. Years before the angel, my husband crafted a star from cardboard and foil, just like your mom's. Fun memory! Wishing we still had his star, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your star is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your story and love your star..I sometimes wonder what kind of memories my kids have. I am thankful this year that my one and only daughter (after 8 sons) is coming home for Christmas. Last year was the first (and last I hope) Christmas that she wasn't home. Looking forward to seeing her for a few days :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that star. I saw a similar one the other day and was thinking how lovely it would look on our tree.

    We have a metal star that is a weathered off-white. We bought it for our first Christmas with a Target gift card that we'd received as a wedding gift. :-) At the same time, we also purchased lights, ball ornaments, a beaded garland and a tree stand.

    The past few years we've had really small trees so the star doesn't fit since it's way too big! Instead, I'll stand the star in a glass bowl with extra glass balls and some greenery.

    My mom was always so resourceful too. Money was tight but she always made the holidays so much fun with the simple things that are precious to me now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this, Wendi. I love your star, and would like to have something similar. I've never found a topper I like, so we use a cute twiggy snowman ornament Monica made years ago. Our artificial tree isn't big, and doesn't need a large topper.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!