Sunday, November 21, 2010

Carmel Corn

Over the weekend I made my first batch of homemade carmel corn.



Pop 1 cup of corn (boy does it make a lot of popcorn!)

Preheat over to 215*

In a 2 quart sauce pan melt 2 sticks (1 cup) of butter over medium heat. Then add 2 cups of brown sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup and 1/2 tsp of salt (increase to 1 tsp if using unsalted butter) and increase temperature to medium high. Stir continuously until it reaches a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Do not stir during this time.

Remove from heat and add 1/2 t of baking soda and 1 t of vanilla. Pour over popcorn. Stir until coated well. (I used two large bowls to do this).

Spread corn onto parchment covered baking sheets. Bake for 40 minutes stirring every 10 minutes. If corn is still mushy cook for 10 minutes longer until you reach the desired crunch. (I found a recipe for this on another blog. I tweaked it just a little and wanted to give her credit for the original recipe.)

Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.

Chuck declared this the best carmel corn ever! He said he will not buy store bought again. yippee!

I will be packaging this is glass jars to hand out at Christmas.


I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

5 comments:

  1. It looks so lovely all put together, and certainly sounds yummy! What a great gift. Have a wonderful week.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Sounds like my recipe! I posted it several weeks ago! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. It doesn't last long here! It's SOOOO nummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had homemade caramel corn (or any kind for that matter) for years. You've tempted my taste buds.
    I really like the glass jar you featured in the last pic. Can you tell me where you found it? I'm assuming that if you are giving them as gifts that they are affordable?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie,

    The jar featured a gallon jar from Meijer at a cost of $5.99. More then I want to spend on a container so I am looking at other options. I plan to hit the dollar store and then JoAnn's or Michaels. I am hoping they might have some cute jars at a good price and then I can use a 40% off coupon. If I find some I will pass it along.

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely display in that cute jar with ribbon!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!