Thursday, November 04, 2010

Buried Treasure

When I was a little girl my grandparents still lived on the old home place. Across from my grandparents home sat another home. As a child I didn't think much about the house. It was just an abandoned old place that looked like it was about to fall down.

As I grew older I began to appreciate my family history and started to ask questions. This house belonged to my grandfathers parents. They had a daughter that never married and after they passed Aunt Cora lived there alone. She lived there until she was no longer able to live alone and then she moved in with her sister (my great-grandmother). Not long after Aunt Cora passed away (in 1960) so did her brother-in-law (my great- grand dad). For reasons no one knows my great-grandmother never did anything with the house. I asked why my grandparents did nothing and mom said that it wasn't their place.

Mom told me that as a child she and her siblings use to play in the house. The cellar was full of canned goods, there were old records that they use to play with and then break (gasp!) and even some furniture.

On a recent trip back to Virgina my parents went to visit the old home place. Aunt Cora's house has been bulldozed and this is all that is left.

They did a little digging in the area where the root cellar was located and my parents brought me back this buried treasure.


Saying I was giddy when I saw these is an understatement! If these jars could talk imagine all of tales they could tell. I will certainly treasure these jars.

I hope you are taking time to enjoy the simple moments!

4 comments:

  1. Wow after all these years these two jars were found? Truly they waited for you to get them and love them. What a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ~ what a delightful find!! How very neat! Have you decided if you are going to use them, display them, or *hide* them? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so special to have something that our ancestors once owned and used. I always try to envision how those items were used, and the families who used them.

    When my grandparents died, I received a dozen blue Ball canning jars, with glass lids. Some still had canned fruit in them. I display four of them in my kitchen, with whole nutmegs, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and potpourri in them.
    Something that has been in the family for many decades is so special.
    Enjoy your treasures!
    nancyr

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting! i just love stories from the past. You are right, those jars are certainly a treasure!
    Have a great afternoon.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!