Thursday, September 02, 2010

Easy Craft

My mother-in-law celebrated her 60th birthday over the weekend. She did not want a big deal made about it. We ended up taking her out for lunch and getting her a gift card to a favorite restaurant. I have mixed feelings about giving gift cards. I really wanted something a little more personal. This is what I came up with.

I pulled some wooden flowers out of my craft stash and had Megan paint them. Chuck printed off a picture from each of Megan's four years and cut those into circles. Those were attached to the center of flower and then a wooden skewer was hot glued onto the back.

I had saved an old formula container and used that as the flower pot. I wrapped it in scrapbook paper and added a ribbon. To finish it off I had Megan to write her name onto a tag and tucked in the gift card. A huge hit with Grandma!

The mom of the little guy I watch had a birthday yesterday. I wanted to make a card for Abe to give his Mommy. I gave him a crayon and let him color onto a piece of cardstock. I then traced his hand and cut it out to make the petals of a flower.

A favorite picture was added to the middle and mom was presented a personal card. I love that I was able to make these using items that I had on hand.

5 comments:

  1. Hi there...
    Very CUTE ideas. I love those types of gifts...they really mean something this way and will always be special to the receiver! :) Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love using what I have to make something for someone else. I know she just loved it!
    Remember your car blog, well head over to my blog because you started something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these ideas Wendy!
    I will definately try the flowers! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful crafts! Nothing better ten homemade!
    blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you came up with for Grandma! That is just adorable and I know it had to mean alot to her! Thanks for that idea....we just might use it! And it's nice to create things from stashes of materials that you already have...it feels so good, doesn't it?

    The mom of the little boy you keep is very blessed to have you....you went above and beyond! That was really sweet and I bet she loved that card!

    Hope you all have a great weekend, Wendi!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!