Thursday, June 10, 2010

How Much Should You Can?

My mother-in-law recently gave my a Ball Blue Book from 1941. It has been a fun read!


There was a section that listed the amount of canned goods you should put up.


For a family of five it states you should store between 800-100 quarts. I don't know about you, but I think that is a lot of jars! I am not sure where I would store that much. I will say that the idea of putting up my own canned goods and not purchasing them at the grocery really appeals to me.

There was also a chart (click to enlarge) that list the amount of each item to put up and how many jars you would get from each bushel.


There are many, many recipes in this book. It list how to can pumpkin, pumpkin preserves, celery, many soups and stews and all kinds of meats. I can't wait to get in the kitchen!

8 comments:

  1. Fascinating! I don't know where I would store 1000 jars of canned goods either! Nor when I would find time or where I would find produce to can all of that! I love the idea - but I seriously doubt our family would eat all they suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..my high end goal was to put up 100 jars this year...maybe I should aim higher! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sure sounds like a lot! I hope we get something canned. some. We've had a lot of trouble with rain here. We just planted round 2 of our beans and corn only to get about 2-3 more inches of rain, Ugh!!!

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendi,

    WOW sounds interesting and I bet has a lot of great tips in it.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy - That book looks awesome! I can a lot in the summer. I can pretty much anything I can and as much as I can. And by the time the next summer rolls around, most of my stock has been used up. We have a can cellar in our basement with shelves in it to hold all of our food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 當身處逆境時,要能忍一時之氣,吃一時之苦,並及早確立自己的目標,總有一天,你會嘗到那甘美的果實。......................................................

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!