Friday, April 30, 2010

Rain Barrel

Remember this post where I said we were working on a project using fencing? We used the fencing to cover a rain barrel.

I have been wanting one for a long time. A nice barrel is pricey. Our solution was to make our own.


There is a downspout at the back of our house in one of my flower beds. A perfect place for our rain barrel.

Chuck bought a barrel from a landscaper off of Craigslist for $15. He cut the top off and scrubbed it out.


After the ground was level the barrel was put up on blocks. I wanted to be able to put a watering can under the spout. Chuck then did some fancy stuff that I don't really get. He drilled holes added pipe and a hole in the lid for the down spout. Routed the downspout into the barrel and then was ready to enclose it.

He then built panels with the fence to cover the pretty green barrel. Drilled a hole in fence and added this pretty little spout.

I plan to paint this a beige using some leftover house paint. Most of the barrels we saw online were $100+ we were able to complete this little project for about $45. Rain is in the forecast for the weekend and I am excited to see this fill up!

7 comments:

  1. What a neat project, Wendi. We've had a lot of rain here this past week, so I'm sure I'd have a full barrel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, Wendi! I think my parents have at least one rain barrel. Eventually, I'd like to have one too. But for now, I set my watering cans out when it rains!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea....looks wonderful! Hope you have a nice weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often just set my watering cans out too - but I love this! I love how Chuck made it so user-friendly with the spout on the outside and of course, with the fence surrounding it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a nice project! Well done. Hope it fills this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! It looks fantastic and is so practical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendi,

    I absolutely LOVE this idea. How cute is that. I am hoping that you get enough to fill your barrel! Keep us posted!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!