Friday, January 22, 2010

Making Your Home A Haven: Start with God



When I read what Monica was planning for this weeks challenge I was very excited. My new goals are regarding health, heart and home. I believe that all things start with the heart. I know that I want to have a heart that is pleasing to the Lord.

This was a hard week. The baby I watch is almost six months old and has not wanted to sleep. That has been challenging along with some extra babysitting duties this week. I wasn't able to do as much for this challenge as I would have liked. With my harried week I know that I needed time in His word more then ever.

I am finding the best time for me to do my reading is during afternoon quiet time. Even if no one sleeps my home is quiet and I need this time to recharge. I feel like I am rushed in the morning and exhausted in the evening. I know as the season in my home changes that finding more quiet time will be easier.

I am currently looking for a daily devotional to do during this time. Something that is simple. I am open to suggestions. I hope to have time to browse my local Christian bookstore this weekend.

Although I didn't start a prayer journal or memorize the Psalms I am okay with that. I know that the walk I am taking is not suppose to be completed in a day or week but over my lifetime.

9 comments:

  1. OUR JOURNEY
    https://www.walkintheword.com/donations.aspx?specID=18
    (you can give any amount...and if you can't get it, let me know and I'll mail you one from our church...we get them free:)
    Also, Elizabeth George makes these great little bible studies that can be done in 15 minutes or less..
    http://www.elizabethgeorge.com/george/books.asp?catid=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendi -

    So sorry to hear it was a hard week for you - and I know that God will honor your desires to walk with Him.

    Blessings on your weekend,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendi,

    I like to look at http://www.proverbs31.org/ - it actually reminds me of your blog a few days ago about Proverbs 31. Take a peek, I think you'll like it.

    Blessings, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great start! I do devotions and bible first thing in the mornings with my daughters, and this has made a huge difference in how our homeschooling day goes. I then block out time to spend in the Word as soon as I get the girls tucked into bed at night. I think I will start reading during their quiet time too, I definately need that "recharge" time too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting out with God is so important and yet I wonder, "why haven't I always done this?!" It may take some time, but the Lord is faithful and like Monica said, He will honor your desire to walk with Him.

    I also wanted to second what Leanne said about Elizabeth George. She is one of my favorite Christian authors and her Bible studies are great.

    God bless!
    Becky @ A Loved Wife.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoy Elizabeth George as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to tell you to look on cbd.com they have books at discounted prices sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendi,

    I like the upper room, it always includes a biblical reading. My MIL also got me a little book called one minute devotionals for moms. Until I can find a church that offers a bible study these are my options. If you find a book do let me know though.

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope that your next week goes better! If the afternoons work best for your quite time, that is what you should do. Not everyone is a morning person.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!