Friday, January 29, 2010

Making Your Home A Haven: Morning Routine


For the most part I am a routine kind of gal. I don't do well with chaos and I find that if I start my day off right it tends to run pretty smooth.

Here is my morning routine:

7 - 8:30
Alarm goes off
Computer time
Shower
Breakfast
Get Megan dressed or put her in bath
Start laundry if necessary (it seems necessary almost everyday!)
Empty and reload dishwasher
Straighten kitchen and sweep and mop if necessary

8:30 - 10 am
Abe arrives
Settle Abe with toys and Megan with books
Check laundry
Make beds
General pick up
Read books with Megan and Abe
School time for Megan/work on daily chore

10 - 10:30 am
Clean up school activity
Check Laundry
Feed Abe a jar of food
Megan plays or talks w/me while Abe eats

10:30 - 11:00 am
Megan watches Caillou
Abe plays
I make lunch

11 - 11:30
Eat lunch
Put Megan down to rest
Abe bottle and down for nap
Check Laundry

For the most part it just seems to flow right along. I don't want anyone to see my routine and think that I have it all figured out and the things are running smoothly here. Not so! Some days getting the daily chore done is hard and sometimes it is just one of those days. On those days nothing but the essentials seems to get done!

Having a routine not only helps me but it also helps Megan. So many times she will say Caillou then lunch then rest. Right Mama? When she know what is happening next and what is expected there seem to be less behavior issues and melt downs. I try not look at this as a schedule but as a guide for our mornings.

I find it fun to see other routines. It sometimes helps me to improve mine. Stop by and visit Monica to see some other routines.

4 comments:

  1. I've been reading up on weekly housekeeping lists and housewife journals. It all seems to make sense. I do find comfort in daily rituals and a set routine too. We accomplish more too.

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Routines are sooooo helpful with little kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without a routine, I would not remember half of what I need to do.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!