Monday, January 04, 2010

Health, Heart & Home

As much as I love Christmas and all of the festivities I am happy when things start to settle back into our simple routine. I am not one to make resolutions, but I do like to step back from time to time to examine my life. I have decided that the areas I want to improve the most are health, heart and home.

I recently stepped on the scale and let's just say that I was not very happy. I have struggled with my weight since my mid twenties. I have had many ups and downs along the way. Diets just don't work for me. I find that I can stick to it and lose weight, but then I usually pick it back up and then some. So going on a diet is not the plan to solve this. Getting healthy is. Changing the way we eat and adding that much dreaded exercise. This is not so much about losing weight as it will be changing our lifestyle. I know that it won't be easy, but I think if I take baby steps and change a little at a time I can do this.

As far as my heart, I want my thoughts and actions to be pleasing to the Lord. I think that we have a choice about how we are perceived and the way we perceive life. I can get up each day and be thankful no matter what or I can get up and decide to grumble about things. I want a joyful, contented heart. I plan to do this by spending more time reading the Bible, surrounding myself by those that are positive and making a conscience choice about the things I do and say.

Home... that is where the heart is. At least it should be. I have been thinking about the need for more space. Then I started asking myself do we really need more space or less things. The answer is really less things. I plan to go through and purge and organize. To change things to make my home comfortable, inviting and most of all a haven for those I love.

As I work through this I will share what I am doing and how things are working out. My hope is that by posting here I can hold myself accountable to make these changes. I speak often about the desire to live a simple, fulfilling life. Desiring it is one thing, taking steps to make it happen is another.

Wising you a great Monday!

15 comments:

  1. Happy Monday, Wendi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Wendy, I'm with you for just about all of your goals. They are very similiar to mine. I need to get started back into my exercise routine and bible scripture reading daily. I just picked up the upper room at church yesterday and I plan on going downstairs to start my workout in a little bit. Good luck!

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Wendi! I am in the same place...examining my attitudes, heart, and flesh!

    Blessings!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendi -

    Thanks for sharing your heart! Exercise is on my list as well - and I wanted to share something I enjoy doing. You might too since you have a little lady in your home.

    http://www.amazon.com/Mom-Toddler-Fitness-Tone-Strenghten/dp/B0015K1BU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1262611894&sr=8-1

    It is a work out that you can do with your child. My littles don't always enjoy doing it with me - so I do it before they get up in the morning and use 2 5 lb. weights instead of a child! :) I like the peaceful music and her style is helpful to me.

    Just thought I'd offer it as a possibility for you to check into.

    Love,
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your goals....I think you are right...baby steps always works better! Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful goals! I have many of the same ones. We had family stay with us for three days over Christmas and I was convinced after they left that we needed more space. I had to remind myself that they aren't always here and this house is the perfect size for the four of us.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendi,

    I appreciate this post, especially the last two lines--a good reminder that desire and action are not the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN! Thank you for sharing honestly with each of us who struggle with some of the same things. We are all on a journey together...trying to be all GOD created us to be.

    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you said about your thoughts and actions. I feel the same way, I just didn't say it as well. :)

    I am also feeling the same about the more space vs. less things. I know it is all about less things. There's so much we have that we don't use. I am sure there is someone out there that can. I am in the middle of a HUGE purge right now. I think this is the perfect time to do it.

    Good Luck to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendi,

    Don't forget as you are purging stuff from your home, pass it along to those than can benefit from it like clothing donations at church. I know I had only 10 shirts hanging in my closet and three pairs of jeans. You know how simple it makes picking out my clothes?

    I love it!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendi,

    I think you have great goals and priorities!

    Many blessings to you and your family for a Happy New Year!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice post and so needed. You have a very nice blog, I just happened to stumble upon you and I'm glad I did. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I plan on going downstairs to start my workout in a little bit. Good luck!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list. I have to share that I have lost 50 lbs in 2009 which has been huge for me. I did not diet. I cut back on cookies, cake etc and stopped going back for seconds. But the real thing that did it for me was Jillian Michaels 30 day shred DVD. It's 3 different workouts that are 25 minutes long. They are HARD!! But SOOOO effective. I absolutely love love love it and what it has done for me very easily. Anyways, I just had to share cause it's been hard but much easier with Jillian.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!