Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Green Tomato Pickles

As the end of the growing season draws near I find that we still have an abundance of tomatoes, mostly green. After overhearing my step-father-in-law say that he hadn't had green tomato pickles in a long time I knew exactly what to do with all these green little guys.


I adapted a recipe I found at cooks.com

2 lbs green tomatoes
4 onions
1/4 cup canning salt
4 peppers, chopped
1 qt vinegar
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 tbs whole allspice (could not find, I used ground)
1 tbs whole cloves
1 lb sugar

Choose firm, small to medium green tomatoes (entirely green, not partially ripe) and firm, white onions. Wash well. Remove stem ends.

Slice tomatoes (I skipped since using cherry tomatoes) and onions, sprinkle with salt and let stand overnight. Rice well in cold water; add peppers.

To the vinegar, add spices (tied in a cheesecloth bag) and sugar. Cook over low heat (or in crock pot) for about 2 hours. Remove spice bag.

Put vegetables into clean jars and cover with hot vinegar, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust and seal lids. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Makes five or six 1 pint jars, depending on size of vegetables used.


I can't say if these are tasty or not because this is something that I would eat. Just not my taste. These will be put back and go into my Christmas stash. It is a tradition to give my mother-in-law and step-father-in-law home canned goods each year. They love it!

3 comments:

  1. What a practical, from the heart gift. I can see why they love your home canned goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat that you picked up on something that your father in law mentioned. I'm sure he will be surprised and appreciative this Christmas!

    I've never heard of green tomato pickles, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi,

    What a wonderful gift it will be to your dad to get some of what he is craving now during the winter when tomatoes are scarce! Just a taste of summer!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!