Thursday, September 17, 2009

Brown Sugar


Did you know that you can freeze brown sugar? You certainly can! I am bringing this up because the baking product sales are around the corner. I try to be a years supply when prices are at their lowest and then store the bags in my freezer. It takes only takes a few minutes for it to thaw and it back to it's original form.



This bag had been out of the freezer for about five minutes and with a quick stir it was as fluffy as the day I bought it.

Now I know that it doesn't need to be stored in the freezer. Leaving it in the bag or in an airtight container works just as well. I have limited store space and this is what works best for me.

Now for more information then you probably need...

Did you know that if your brown sugar gets hard that you can add a piece of bread? The brown sugar soaks up the moisture from the bread and becomes soft again.

If you try the bread trick and it doesn't work the you can spread out the sugar (the best you can) onto a cookie sheet. Place in a 350* oven for a couple of minutes or until soft.

I tried to find out the shelf life but could find none. I looks like it keeps and keeps. I am sure you now know more about brown sugar then you ever needed to know!

5 comments:

  1. I always keep my sugars(except what's in my canister)in the freezer. Certain pests who like to chew on bags can't get to them in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about technical 'shelf life' for it, but if you run out it's easy to make your own -- for every cup of white sugar, add 1-2 Tbs of molasses and stir well. We do this quite often around here.
    In my canister in the kitchen I have a shard of terra cotta pot that we soak in water and keep in with brown sugar for moisture. A wedge of apple works well too. I never cared for the bread as always forgot to remove it once hard/dried, and then it crumbled into the sugar :o(

    Another trick, if it turns block hard on you for whatever reason, is to simple grate off what you need. Sugars used to come as hardened cones.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi,

    Thank you for solving my brown sugar block answers on how to return it to its previous state.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! Thanks Wendi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a wonderful tip. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!