Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tomato Soup



8 quarts tomatoes
1 bunch celery
1 lg onion
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt

Chop celery & onions. Cook in just enough water to prevent scorching. Once they start to become tender add tomatoes. (I removed the skin and seeds from the tomatoes. Basically a stewed tomato.) Bring to a boil and cook until all your veggies are soft. Run through sieve. I then strained through cheese cloth. Return to pan and add salt and sugar. Bring to a boil. Cream together butter and flour and add once mixture is boiling. Boil until desired consistency is reached. You may need to add some cornstarch to reach your desired consistency.

Pour into pint jars and process in a pressure cooker at 5 for 15 minutes.

I can already taste a warm bowl of soup and a grilled cheese on a cold day. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. yummy! I've never had homemade tomatoe soup...I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I think I would have trouble waiting for a cold day to sample it. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favorite meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi,

    Now that is what I would really call comfort food! Nothing tastes better on a cold fall or winter day.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Today it feels like fall up here so boy does tomatoe soup sound good to me! I live in NH. I am also in the mood for fall decorating and will a lot of rain in the forcast for this weekend, I think that I will do just that. I looked through your past post and found some really nice fall decorations so thank you for all that informaion. I hope my fall home can look as nice as yours did in those photos. BTW how is the kitchen re do coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn Marie,

    Still working on the kitchen. We took a little break over the summer. I am anxious to get it finished up!

    Thanks for asking!

    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!!!!! You are making my mouth water!!!! I LOVE tomato soup!!!

    And don't the jars look SO pretty!!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!