Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Responsibility

When Megan turned three we decided that it was time to start teaching her about family responsibility. I made a Megan can do it! poster.


I knew that over time that the responsibilities would change and wanted this poster to be flexible. In order to achieve that I knew that I could not put the specific responsibility directly on the poster.

I made the poster and then took it to the office store to be laminated. I then added a piece of velcro over each of the six rectangles. Next I printed out pictures of Megan completing her task. I then wrote out her responsibility and then attached the corresponding picture. I covered her task card in contact paper and then attached the other part of the velcro to the back.


Her task are: setting the table, helping me dust, putting things in the recycle bin, putting her dirty clothes in the hamper and sleeping in her bed all night. (She ends up getting up and sleeping on our bedroom floor most nights. We know that she does this and lay down a quilt so she won't be cold. We don't hear her come in and are trying to encourage her to stay in her bed all night.)

Once a task is complete then Megan removes her responsibility card and places it in the envelope above the poster. The responsibility card is then replaced with a star. Before going to bed each night we visit the post and remove the stars. We talk about how proud we are of her for being a responsible member of the family and how helpful it is to help out.

The cards are then put back on. I used the same color paper on the task cards and the poster. That way we can practice colors and matching each night when we put them back on.

For each star that she receives she receives a bead. The beads are then placed in this jar.


She can exchange the beads for treats, such as a trip to the bookstore. We are still trying to figure out if she needs to fill the jar for the treat or earn a certain number for certain treats. Figuring things out as you go along is what parenting is all about, right?

To help out with the responsibility of setting the table I made table setting placemats.


These are a huge hit! The only problem is that Megan thinks that we need to use every utensil with each meal. I have tried to explain that a spoon isn't needed for a certain meal and I get the "but Mama it shows a spoon!"

I would love to hear if you assign certain task to your children and if so are using a reward system. It is always great to hear how others are doing things.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! What an incredibly great idea! I am copying it, okay? I've been trying different things with my 5 and 3 year old, but nothing has seemed to be effective yet. But this is an awesome idea, and I love how you used pics of her doing the various tasks. Love how she can take the task off when completed and then you can put them back on for the next day. Oh, and I LOOOOOOVE the placemat idea. You are ingenious! My 3 year old loves to set the table, but she can never remember what goes where. This is a fantastic idea! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Wendi! I love it.

    Of course my kids are older now but when they were smaller, we had a chart on a dry erase board with their names and the days of the week. When they finished their assigned chores, they would put a check mark under the day.

    That practice got them into the habit of doing their chores without a chart system even as their responsibilities increased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I work at a pediatric therapy center, and we use various charts like this with kids all the time! Visual schedules and charts like this are what make some kids go from totally unsuccessful to independent and proud of themselves. You did great with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea! I love that you laminated it too. In the past we have had chore charts for each child but have done away with them now. Have a great day!:) Stop in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God made you so smart!!! I am so impressed by what you have done here. I will remember this for my grand children!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the best project I've seen of this, by far!! I'm SO going to start one...I LOVE THE PLACEMATS...I think I'll even make one for my husband, too! He seems to forget that Momma needs a fork, spoon, cup,etc when its meal time...hah, hah...
    LOVE! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas, Wendi. Making a chore chart for Nathan has been in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendi,

    Wow you have some great ideas here that could probably be marketed and sold for parents everywhere. Hmm perhaps something you might think of like the setting the table place mats that could be laminated and sold as well as the never outdated chore chart.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great idea, Wendi!!! I'm trying to revamp our chore chart system and you and Monica have given me some great ideas! :-)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a wonderful idea. I really like you poster and the table setting guide. You did a great job on it.

    Have a blessed weekend!
    ~Charree

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!