Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Embracing the Moment

I was reminded today that it isn’t just planned events and schedules that make a simple life. It is also taking time to embrace the moment.

When I woke up I was not happy that I needed to leave home again. I needed to exchange a few things that I had purchased the day before. I keep thinking about all of the things that I needed to get accomplished at home.

I picked up my mom and we went to Kohl’s. By the time we finished it was close to lunchtime. We made a quick trip to the grocery store and then back to Mom’s for sandwiches.

I had a plan to eat lunch, hurry home to put Megan down for her nap and then rush through my list. After lunch and some chit chat with my parents Megan and her cousins were involved in play.

I ended up staying all afternoon and even for dinner. I am so glad that I decided to embrace the moment. If not I would have missed Megan and my nieces laying towels on the garage floor and putting on swimsuits. They were enjoying a day at the beach.

I would have missed the girls taking a quick swim. Even though I know the water was too cold, they all managed to tell me it was just fine.

I would have missed using spent day lily stems for swords and Megan doing a little dance when she picked a tomato.

When Megan is grown she won’t remember that the house was a disaster or that Daddy had to get socks from the dryer and not his drawer. What she will remember is a pretend day at the beach, a swim in the pool, a sword fight with flower stems, picking fresh tomatoes and a day spent with family.

Simple things that I hope will bring her memories of a simple childhood. I am so glad that I decided to embrace the moment.

5 comments:

  1. excellent post! especially, since I have 5 loads of laundry to put away right now! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Kids are so much better at embracing the moment than we are. They do teach us so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi,

    Thank you for the wisdom that comes from your post today. Kids don't want to remember that we as moms, kept the house spic and span, and that all our time was devoted to keeping pesky germs out of our homes and away from our kids no matter what the cost.

    They remember the laughter and smiles captured in Kodak moments and in dreams that keeps them smiling at night.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat I so agree with your reply. Sometimes it is so much better to go with the flow as they usually are the best of times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!