Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wendi's Homespun Laundry Soap

I decided to try my hand at homemade laundry soap. I decided to make a powder because it was easier then cooking it and I wasn't crazy about the idea of having to stir it before I did a load of laundry.

This is what you need to make a batch.


1 1/2 cups Fels Naptha bar soap grated ( 1 1/2 cup is what I got from one bar) $1.39
3/4 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda $3.36 for 55 oz
3/4 cup Borax $3.36 for 76 oz

The price break down is $2.07 to make this batch. It makes approximately 19 loads. That breaks down to $0.11 per load. I use a coffee scoop which is 1/8 cup per load.

To store my laundry soap I bought this snack container on clearance at WM. I believe it was $3.00.
I printed off "Wendi's Homespun Laundry Soap" and used double stick tape to attach it on over the word snacks. I thought about just using my previous cardboard container but after a spill of fabric softener I thought this would be better. It is certainly more attractive and will last for a very long time.


I also have a recipe for fabric softer. I am waiting until I run out to try it. I would love to hear if you make your own laundry soap or fabric softener and what your experience has been.

6 comments:

  1. That is SO funny...I was JUST looking at the Borax yesterday and telling my little Farmchick that wanted to make my own laundry detergent. That is the same recipe that I had printed off awhile back. I will have to do some shopping though-- I don't think I have seen that soap around here nor do I remember the Arm & Hammer stuff. Of course at the time I could not remember what I needed! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendi, I just found your blog through the Homespun Heart. I have been making my own laundry soap for several years now and I started with the same ingredients you are using. I have found that the Fels Naptha might as well be battery acid on my sensitive skin. I now use pure vegetable glycerin soap -- the melt and pour kind. I buy it in bulk at Hobby Lobby. Melt one small block in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and washing soda and hot water, and stir. I add Borax for tough loads, but I generally omit it now as well. The concoction cleans great! (Sorry for the long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use this as well and love it. I have been making it for over a year and use 2 bars of the soap, 2 boxes of the washing soda and 2 boxes of the borax. I put it all in one big container (cat litter came in it first - but the container was too good to toss out) and it last a really long time. I have a scoop from somthing in the past that I use. For fabric softnier I put viginer in the bleech dispencer of my machine and then have a dryer ball in the dryer that has been there over a year and works perfect. This stuff really works, not a lot of bubbles in the machine but I don't care for the bubbles anyhow. I want clean clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it work well? I'm wanting to try making some too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm curious to know what you think of the soap. Also, in the recipe you printed, does it happen to mention if it can be used in front loader machines? I'd love to give this a try. What a great money saver, and I like your snack container idea too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!