Tuesday, July 14, 2009

July 1957 Farm Record

My parents had this record book at their house.

It is my grandparents farm journal from January 1957 - October 1963. I could have done a little happy dance when I was told I could take this home! I hear that my parents have another record book but I haven't seen it yet.

I thought it would be neat to share an entry with you each month. I thought I would start with the July 1957 entry. My mom was 7 years old that year.



I find it very interesting to see the price of things from years past.

The handwriting in most of the book belongs to my grandmother, Mom. When I see her handwriting it brings back so many memories of her. Later in the book there is sometimes handwriting that I don't recognize. It looks to be the writing of a child. My guess is that Mom was teaching her children bookkeeping.

There are also receipts, bills and even a W-2. I love family history and the ability to have a peek at what life was like in days gone by.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this kinda stuff too, Wendi! It is so interesting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is really neat. Isn't it neat how a person's handwriting can bring back memories of them?

    My mom's cousin just gave my mom a report card from 1900 that was my great grandfather's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so neat!! What a great heirloom!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wendi, what a treasure! My grandparents were farmers and I would love to have something like that of theirs. I love family history too!

    Looking forward to seeing more of it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!