Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bulletin Board Makeover

After opening the refrigerator and everything sliding off of the front I knew that I had to come up with a better solution for Megan's creations. Especially since we had all the additional things from VBS and the start of our Homeschool Preschool approaching.

I saw a fabric covered memory board at the craft store. It was priced at $14.99 and wasn't very large. I started thinking about what I had at home and this is what I came up with.

There was a bulletin board that use to hang over our old computer desk. It has just been sitting in our third bedroom for a couple of years. I painted the frame purple using paint from my craft stash.



I had leftover wrapping paper from our birthday madness month. I used some spray adhesive Chuck had for drywall corners to attach the paper to the board. (I did paint a band of purple around the perimeter of the cork. That way if the paper was not perfect you would not see the cork.)

Next I attached ribbon using my glue gun. At the points where the ribbon crossed or ended I added a button with embroidery thread tied through it. I thought this made it look like the ribbon was sewn on.


After hanging up this up I wrapped ribbon around the pegs on shelf and tied a bow. I then glued the bows to the frame to make it look like the board was handing from the pegs.


Once it was hung up I realized that the placement of Megan's bed would give her too much access to the stuff hanging up. The solution was to switch the placement of her bed and dresser. Now little hands won't be all over this.


Since I had most of the material on hand this was a economical solution. The cost break down is $1.99 for grosgrain ribbon and $2.29 for the package of buttons. The total cost was $4.28. Megan is so proud to have a special place to display her things and that my friends is priceless!

4 comments:

  1. great idea! it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendi!

    I love this super creative idea. I too have an old bulletin board in my garage just sitting on the wall.

    I think I will have my kids use it and create one just like yours for a summer project for their room!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. How resourceful of you, Wendi--the board looks darling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!