Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Plantin' Lettuce

We spend last night planting nine iceberg lettuce plants. We were trying to get them in the ground since rain was moving in last night.

Megan was my right hand lady and had so much fun helping out.



Instead of planting these in the veggie garden they were planted in the flower bed behind the house.


The peonies are coming up and will be behind the lettuce. Normally I would plant some annuals in this bed. I love flowers, but I decided it is best to spend money on plants that will feed my family.

I will still be planting annuals in some pots out back and in the front flower bed. Just at a minimum. I love that I will still get to see things growing in my flower beds and lower my grocery bill at the same time.

Are you planning to grow more of your own food this season?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Wendi!

    That's cute! We have broccoli, onions and potatoes doing very well already. I just planted green beans, yellow squash, zucchini and corn. We still will add cucumber, watermelon, tomatoes and peppers.

    My sunflowers are coming up - I'm hoping to attract bees to pollinate the garden and to look pretty, plus perhaps provide some bird seed when we're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have a garden this year, but will keep it smaller than usual because water is expensive here, and the climate is semi-arid. It is so nice when those tomato plants start producing.
    We can't plant until mid May, so it will be a while before we see any produce.
    Megan looks so cute digging in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you ever have problems with your lettuce being bitter? If you have any tips to avoid it I'd appreciate it! That's a great idea to put veggies in instead of annuals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again! I wanted you to know that I nominated you for the lemonade award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pray that you have a very fruitful garden this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very neat to put some pretty veggies in your flower bed! I've never had a garden of my own but my MIL has huge one every year.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!