Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Family Reunion and a Recipe

On Sunday we attended Chuck's family reunion. It was a bittersweet gathering due the passing of his Great-Aunt Shari last week. There was some debate over weather the reunion should be cancelled. They decided to continue on with it. When you lose someone you really need those you love near. What better way to do that then to have a family reunion!

Before the meal Shari was remembered in a special prayer. Although it was emotional for many it was also a great tribute to a wonderful lady.

Again we were blessed with wonderful weather. Boy am I getting spoiled! The reunion is held in a state park that is great.




Megan had her first drink out of a drinking fountain. She thought that was fun!

Playing in the dirt pile was a fun thing to to with cousins.



We took a walk to see the water falls. Megan loved that and wanted to keep going and going and going. Unfortunately we don't have the energy of a two year old!


One of the things I took to the reunion was this salad. It was made with all garden fresh veggies.


Cucumber, Tomato, Onion Salad


This is made with a vinegar dressing.

2 cups vinegar
3 cups water
1/4 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Bring to a boil and allow to cool. Pour over veggies and refrigerate.

It was hard to put exact measurements to this recipe. It is one of those recipes that you just have keep tasting until you get it right. Mine was a little tart when I tasted it the next morning and I had to add some more sugar and some additional water. I used a huge cucumber, two onions and about six tomatos. I made a really big batch.

I am not a tomato or onion fan, but I love the cucumbers marinated in this.

This is my grandmother's recipe. I remember it always being served with dinner as long as the garden was producing. It brought back lots of memories as this was made. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. First time visitor...there is nothing better than a special family reunion, is there? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!