Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Christmas in July: Homespun Gift Tags

Can you believe that I am already thinking of Christmas? Well, I am! Every year I always have a list of things that I want to make. It seems to me that Christmas is here before I know it and I am not ready. My goal this year is to start working on things so that I can actually enjoy the month of December.

The first item on my list this season was Homespun Gift Tags.

These were really easy to make and used two of my favorite things... brown craft paper and twine. I first cut out two different sized stars. For the larger star I used red card stock and for the smaller star brown craft paper. You can find the pattern I used here.

I then used double stick tape and attached the two stars together.

Next I cut out a heart shape. I could not find a pattern that had the homespun look so I drew my own heart. This was taped on top of the brown star.

The next step was to decide how I wanted to stitch on these. I couldn't decide between stitching on the heart or around the star. I decided to do a few of both. I found that it was easier if I used the needle to punch out the holes for the embroidery thread before stitching. I then used two strands of black floss.

The finish these off I made a bow with twine and hot glued it onto the heart. I also used twine to make a loop for hanging and hot glued this onto the back of the star.

These were simple to make and I think they will look great on a package wrapped in brown paper and tied with red ribbon.

I am hoping to post a Christmas craft once a week for the month of July. Of course it always depends on how busy my family life is!


5 comments:

  1. That is SO organized of you...I think this year, everything is getting wrapped in a gift bag...and probably purchased the week before Christmas! I can't imagine shopping with the three little ones! I LOVE those stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable!!! I like to make my gift tags, too, but have never done anything THIS cute!! I HAVE to make these now!! Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea, Wendi!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute and I'm very impressed with you starting Christmas so early!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just told my DH last night that I needed to start getting Thanksgiving and Christmas plans going. I want to wrap all of our packages in craft paper too. I think I'm going to copy your idea on the tags. They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I was hoping to do a Christmas in July series - but it is not happening! Hopefully in the Fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!