Monday, April 07, 2008

Chalkboard Flower Pots

While browsing through the Lowe's Creative Idea Magazine I stubbled upon this great idea.


I did change up the project some. I used 4" Terra cotta pots. They were spray painted off white. I was very intrigued with the idea of making my own chalk board paint. Once I priced the ingredients to make my own vs the price to buy a ready made can, I choose the pre-made. With that said I am still very interested in making my own and if I had been doing this with a group of others then the cost might have been justified.

Instead of tracing the oval pattern and painting it Chuck suggested making a stencil out of contact paper. It was placed on the pot and after covering the rest of the pot Chuck sprayed the chalkboard area. (He helped me alot with this project. I always have runs when I spray paint.) I am very please with how they turned out.



After setting these in my window I thought they needed something. I asked Chuck to make a holder for me. He used scrap wood and I painted it with left over paint.


Here is the finished project:


For the Lowe's instructions on this project you can visit here.

I can just taste the rosemary in my marinade and chives on my baked potato. Yum! I couldn't find starts for the basil and parsley so I will just have to be patient for my seeds to spout.

If anyone makes their own chalkboard paint, please let me know how it turns out!


8 comments:

  1. Hello! Popping over from Mrs. U's blog. Your project is adorable! I have a kitchen window over my sink, but no sill to put plants on! I've got to think of a way to get plants in my window though! I love your little pots! So adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cute, Wendi! I saw a huge article in a Martha Stewart magazine a few years ago about making your own chalkboard paint - I was intrigued, but also have never tried it!

    Your project turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi,

    Love this! Great idea to make a stencil. I had no idea you could create your own chalkboard paint--interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving these....MARY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is the cutest idea! I love that you made the holder, too. I'm going to check these out, because the neat thing is you can change the names on the pot for each year! Cool!
    Hope you computer is back up and running soon! That's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are SO adorable!!!! You always have the cutest things here and I always feel so inspired to make something beautiful!!!

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea!!! I love that!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!