Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Apples! Apples!

This is what I did with my apples.


On Saturday afternoon mom and I put up 21 pints of applesauce, 5 quarts of apple pie filling and 12 jars of apple jelly. I had not intended to make apple jelly until mom told me how her mom made some of her jellies. She used the skins, cores minus any bad spots to make the jelly! You learn something new everyday!

Apple Jelly

Take your peels and cores removed from apples bring to boil with approximately 2 cups of water.



Boil for about half an hour. Be sure to stir them constantly to avoid scorching. Don't ask how I know this! Once boiled you need to strain the mixture, several times. Then you follow the directions on the SureGel package. I used 7 cups of the apple juice brought to a boil. Then added 9 cups of sugar and a box of SureGel. Brought back to a boil and boiled for 1 minute. Ladled into jars and put on tops and rings. No need to process, the jars will seal themselves.

Mom also told me that her mom used peach peels to make peach jellies. I am sure you could do the same with pears. My grandmother grew up on a farm during the depression and was a young farm bride during World War II, so she knew how to be resourceful. Such fun to make goodies for my pantry, spend time with Mom and learn great details about my family!

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Amazing!
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendi,

    So fun to see all your jars lined up--how rewarding. I wish I'd known about the jelly idea a couple weeks ago when I "processed" all my apples. I love the idea of not wasting all those peels and cores!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I had no idea about the peels and cores!!! I'm planning apple butter and such. Mike's Grandpa makes us applesauce we just pick the apples. *(can you say lazy me?? lol). What a wonderful haul Wendi!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your family recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother was the same way. She pickled watermelon rinds. Nothing was ever wasted. She always had the best "put up" produce and jams and jellies around. ;0)
    Yours look beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm sure it will all taste delicious. It is also just beautiful to look at until you eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had NO idea you could use the peels that way!! Thank you VERY much for sharing this!!!

    Seriously Wendi, I wish you lived closer. I need to come over and grab a few jars!!! Wouldn't it be SWEET for Megan and Elizabeth to play????

    His,
    Mrs. U

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto everyone else about the apple jelly idea. What a great concept! We haven't gotten apples yet this year-maybe this weekend? So I'm hoping to be able to use that idea after making applesauce and apple pie filling. We don't eat much jam or jelly around here, but it would make beautiful Christmas gifts.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone is really getting me in the mood to can some stuff with all my jars!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to try that...Thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Thanks SO much for the jelly recipe! I have been reading everyone's recipes for apple things and have been so bummed about not being able to make them b/c I don't have a canner! (and living in a country where they don't do these kinds of things, probably wouldn't be able to find one!) I like the fact that these don't need to be processed! Love the resourcefulness of using the seeds and peels, too! Thanks for sharing! I have enjoyed reading your blog...found it through Leanne's...guess I am no longer a "lurker" here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love canning, isn't it amazing how rewarding it is to see all of those finished jars lined up? Looks like you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found you via Carrie's blog!

    Love what you did with all your apples! A friend and I made apple jelly not too long ago. It was my first time and I had so much fun. Isn't it rewarding to look at your pantry shelves and see the frut of your labor? (a pun!) A great feeling for sure...and I also loved feeling like I was keeping the art of homemaking alive!

    Blessings,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm! I hope you are pleased with your apple pie filling! I made apple juice out of my cores/peels one year and then used it as the base for my apple butter - everyone said it was the best batch I'd ever made!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!