Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dried Cinnamon Apple Wreath


To make these I first dried my apples. Slice your apples and soak for 20 minutes in 2 cups lemon juice and 3 tbs salt. Remove and pat dry. Roll pieces in cinnamon and allspice mixture (optional). Place on wire rack on top of cookie sheet and bake at 150 for 6 hrs or until dry. Turn pieces over if they start to curl. I found that with the chunks instead of slices it took about 8 hrs for them to dry. They smell so yummy when they are drying. Chuck came home and thought I made apple pie!

Next I cut a piece of floral wire to the desire length. I then pushed the pieces onto the wire; leave enough wire at both ends to twist the wreath together.


Then I cut a piece of fabric and looped it around the wreath. This covers the twisted wire and gives you something to hang the wreath with.

I then added a bow and the wreath was complete!

I hung these from a corner cabinet in my kitchen. I was able to fold the fabric over the door and attach with a thumbtack. To preserve the wreath you should spray it with acrylic spray. I opted to skip this step so that I could have the cinnamon smell throughout the kitchen. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea!!! I'll bet my kids would love to string them together and we have many apples that just hit the ground and aren't too great for eating, that would be perfect for this project. Thanks! Blessings today,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendi,

    What a "homey" idea. Is this also what you used the dried orange slices for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOHH! I can smell them now.
    I love the smell of a good homemade apple pie, fresh from the oven.

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this - I may use it in my own kitchen this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! Your wreaths look great hung on the cabinet doors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendi - I love this! It is so cute and I can only imagine how yummy it smells! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a wonderful idea!! And it doesn't seem too hard, either!! I appreciate how clearly you explained the directions.

    His,
    Mrs. U
    (who is still waiting to see what you are going to do with your dried orange slices)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!