Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Buttermilk Biscuit Mix



In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 13 1/2 cups

8 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups buttermil blend powder
4 tbs baking powder
3 tbs sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/3 cup shortening

I was able to get 3 quart jars out of this mix.

To make biscuits:

2 cups Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
7 tbs water

Bake at 425 for 9-10 minutes. (Note: I found that I needed a little more than 7 tbs of water)

For a change I will sometimes use this to top a pot pie instead of a pie crust. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yummy. This looks great. I just have one ? What is buttermil blend powder. And, after you add the water to the mix do you roll it out or drop it like balls onto the sheet? Sorry for the ??? I love your blog and will visit it oftern!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!