Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Red Devil's Food w/ Baked Icing, 1944 Letter


This is the letter I found in my goodies:

Tuesday, June 13, 1944

Dear Edna & Bob, (my maternal grandparents)

Well what do you think of this war, & weather? Quite a combination don't you think (plenty warm)

Have you heard from Monroe or Frank (my grandmother's brothers, who were off to war)yet? Wish they would write me. Did I tell you I heard from John Meyers again? He's somewhere near Monroe, wish they could get to see one another.

Aunt Lee just got back from Aunt Nora's. Had the doctor for Grandmother. Nothing serious, same old trouble - high blood pressure. Mabel leaves for her vacation Saturday morning. She & three other girls are going to Maine - Have a cottage they rented. I can hardly wait for mine to come.

I am unable to read the rest of letter due to the tear, and I have no idea who wrote the letter.


The recipe on the back states it is from Home Demostration Club. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 cup cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour milk
1 tsp vanilla

Mix cocoa, water, soda & let stand. Add 2nd mixture.

Beat 2 egg whiltes until stiff
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
spread over cake & sprinke with nut meats.
Bake 100 degrees for 16 minutes.

That is all it says. I guess you would have to play with this. I assume that you would bake the cake, add the icing and then continue to bake at 100 degrees. One thing I have noticed about the old recipes is that many do not list baking times or degrees. Some say bake at a moderate heat.

I may never use this recipe, but I think this is really neat!

1 comment:

  1. How neat! Especially since the sender talks about the war too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment. I hope you enjoyed your visit and will return again!